Life Update... Sort Of

     I haven't written a Life Update blog in quite awhile, matter-of-fact, the last time I did I'm pretty sure it was a downer and my words got erased in post. This time will be different. Sure, my mind has frolicked in the rolling hills of sadness since last we spoke, but whose hasn't? Overall, I am really happy, though, and have been for a steady 3.5 months. So much has changed in such a short amount of time, for example: I drink very little now, I no longer smoke, my bad dreams have diminished, I use my gym membership frequently, I'm eating healthier (and even growing veggies in a garden), I'm back to work full-time, I have a motorcycle now and that's just fun, period. That being said, some of those things have produced other changes, for example: poetry doesn't stir within me anymore and I've said goodbye (via silence) to that slice of my life (for now). Will I ever write poetry again? I really don't know. For me, poetry has always been the armored tank I drive through life in, firing poetical bullets at the outside world while deflecting past and present pain within the safety of my 82mm thick plated steel. Roll, turn, aim, fire!
     When I use the Blogger admin tools and check on my view counter I notice my poetry entries receive the most hits, so that alone should encourage me to continue writing poetry. All I can say is, "we'll see."

     The list of podcasts that I listen to daily has changed as well. Awhile back I mentioned the ones I enjoyed most, but several have been added and deleted since then, so I will make a new list and share it with you now:

  • The Ancient World
  • BackStory with the American History Guys
  • Bill Moyers Journal (all-time favorite, sad to see it end)
  • Christopher Titus Podcast (brand new favorite)
  • Common Sense with Dan Carlin (all-time favorite)
  • Conspiracy
  • Hardcore History with Dan Carlin
  • Double Feature
  • Grammar Girl
  • History 132
  • History Podcast
  • The Human Bible
  • If You Love This Planet (brand new favorite)
  • The Joe Rogan Experience (all-time favorite)
  • The Johann Hari Podcast
  • Myoclonic Jerk
  • NPR: Intelligence Squared
  • NPR: It's All Politics
  • NPR: Pop Culture Happy Hour
  • Ram Dass Here And Now (brand new favorite)
  • Real Time with Bill Maher (all-time favorite)
  • Red Ice Radio (brand new favorite)
  • Red List Radio (brand new favorite)
  • Stuff You Missed In History Class
  • Tech Stuff
  • TED Talks
  • This American Life (this one may soon be deleted)
  • Thomas Jefferson Hour (brand new favorite)
  • Useless Information Podcast
  • Warrior Poet Project
  • WNYC's Radiolab (used to be a favorite, has since declined)
  • The Young Turks (all-time favorite)
  • 60 Minutes (all-time favorite)
     With a diverse list of podcasts such as those, going to work is like going to school for me. I listen to them everyday, and as you can tell my interests lean heavily toward the "history/politics/information" side of things. I don't watch syndicated television, haven't in a long time, which means my brain isn't subjected to a constant barrage of media-delivered, multimillion-dollar marketing campaigns aimed at steering (or creating) my beliefs and desires. I don't give a shit about the Real Housewives of Whatever County or which appliance I should buy from GE, but I do give a shit about the MEK Iranian terrorist organization that has been funneling money into our Congress and purchasing their influence to the point that just now, the Obama administration has decided to strike them from the Dept of State terrorist watch list. Yeah that's right, the Mujahedin-e Khalq Organization (MEK) currently sits at #30 on a list of groups that our own government has labeled as foreign terrorists, and our President has deemed them "cool". That's just one example of what can be learned by a citizen who isn't glued to the tube every evening. I guarantee you won't see that story on FOX News or CNN, that's for sure. I could go on & on with news stories not being discussed in the mainstream, but why bother? I'm a creative writer, not a political activist.

     I narrowly avoided ending this blog on a political rant, haha. It's a beautiful day outside and I want to enjoy it, so I'm going to wrap this up (even though I haven't mentioned everything). Speaking of which, I have a new nephew named Trey and I've yet to fly home for a visit. This saddens me, but soon I'll take the vacation time needed to get there. I'm thinking a week in September. I haven't seen my family in over a year (I think), so I'm long overdue. Yes, I'll see ya'll very soon! I can hear fingernails being clipped in the bathroom. This is my ten minute que to exit stage left and proceed to rear, where we will then file out of the building and run across the parking lot still dressed as 16th century Victorians. I bid you adieu, fare readers.

Comments

Post a Comment

Your thoughts/comments are encouraged!