A Healthy Update

My morning ritual consists of the following. I roll out of bed around 5am (Mon-Fri) and head straight to the kitchen. I turn on my little hand crank survival radio which is preset to 89.9 classical, which always sits atop my counter to the right of my giant cutting board. I then proceed to pull out and prepare any ingredients from the fridge that will be included in my morning smoothie. Once my smoothie is complete, the dirty parts go into the sink and I then begin my brain kicker coffee preparation. Note: from this point on breakfast is being consumed via tall glass and straw, following me wherever I go. While the coffee is brewing I get dressed for work and do my bathroom duties. By the time the coffee has brewed I've usually finished the smoothie and that glass then goes into the sink. Now it's time to blend my brain kicker coffee together: freshly brewed organic fair-trade coffee, organic unsalted grass-fed butter, coconut oil, vanilla extract, honey, and a pinch of ginger powder. That's it, food and body prep complete. I then tend the few dishes that need washed, open my blinds, grab my coffee and head out the door.

Why did I share this with you? Two reasons. Number one: I've learned that while I love classical music, I absolutely loathe opera. I understand why these two genres fit together on 89.9, but nothing ruins my morning more (other than a failed smoothie) than having that booming, operatic voice drown out my kitchen while I'm doing my thing. It's annoying, it's not in English, and it overshadows the classical music I want to hear. So 89.9 if you're reading this, stop it. Cut it out. Nobody wants to hear opera! Do they? Okay, number two: I want others to get in on this whole smoothie/juicing/brain kicker coffee thing. When I think back to how I used to start each day I cringe: maybe a bowl of GM cereal, or a bagel with cream cheese, or a quick stop somewhere for a sausage egg and cheese biscuit, and a regular old cup-o-joe with flavored creamer. When you break all that stuff down you realize it's pretty unhealthy. My body didn't know what the hell to do with most of those ingredients, and I was doing it every single morning, for all of my life. I never even gave it a second thought.

But now I feel pretty good about the changes made. Here's an example list of ingredients that might go into one of my smoothies: coconut or almond milk, avocado, spinach or kale, chia seeds, kiwi, banana, mixed berries, hemp protein powder, macca powder, almond butter, coconut mana, yogurt, cacao, ice cubes, honey, ginger, etc. A blended drink usually produces 16 ounces or more. That's a big meal that fills me up all the way until lunch at 10:30am. And every single ingredient is exactly the type of food my body wants and needs, and if you do it right it's really damn tasty! To help mask the less flavorful ingredients (green vegetables, hemp protein, macca, etc) you simply add in your fruit and honey, goodbye funky flavor. And as for the brain kicker coffee, you can check out Dave Asprey's page for the run down of why it's awesome for your health. I don't use his coffee beans because they are way too expensive, but I got the basic idea when I listened to him on a podcast, he calls it the bulletproof coffee: http://www.bulletproofexec.com/coffee/

So that's a quick glimpse into the healthier side of things, I hope you enjoy. I do want to return back to creative writing soon. I know many of you enjoy that side of me much more and I'm inclined to agree with you. I've been so consumed with the "way of the world" lately that my creativity has slowed to a backwards crawl. It'll happen, just have to get past this learning binge first, but damn it there's so much stuff to learn!

In this picture is a list of ingredients recommended by doctors all over the world to help people avoid getting sick.

 
And in this picture is my recommended list of ingredients. Any questions?
In this smoothie: Avocado, banana, strawberry, mango, chia with honey and ginger kick. Hello breakfast, so nice to eat you.

Brain Kicker coffee preparation.

Flu Slayer: spinach, orange, lemon, garlic, carrot, ginger, cayenne pepper. Juice these and drink regularly. You can't overdose!

Comments